Monday 12 January 2015

Forest Kingfisher

Exploring the extended neighbourhood showed that nothing beats home turf when it comes to bird diversity. But still: there were a few highlights of the day. I was fighting hard to photograph this Forest Kingfisher (Todiramphus macleayii). I had only seen it out of the corner of my eye, leaving what looked like a termite nest. Actually, I had no idea what bird it was then. But I could clearly see something moving in the housing, probably a beak of a juvenile. When one of the youngsters emptied its bowels, it was clear that there was offspring in there expecting to be fed. The long waiting began, not only for the juvenile birds. My camera ready to set in action any moment was getting heavy and heavier by the second. Why on earth did I carry my monopod for the whole day, not using it, and when I need it, it was safely back in the car. At the nest, no parent bird was showing up for what seemed an eternity. Minutes passed. Frankly, I would have given up after half an hour if I had known what bird nest this actually was. Finally, the food arrived and my sore muscles from holding the camera always ready for the big moment got the much needed relief. And after what seemed like a few seconds feeding time was over. The adult Forest Kingfisher ventured out again for seconds. But I was done, totally exhausted and sore but happy that I had some decent photos and knew which bird species was responsible for all that pain. Exploring the neighbourhood and photography can be quite strenuous, can't it.

1
2
3
4

No comments:

Post a Comment