Monday 19 January 2015

Wallabies

Taking photos of wallabies was fun. It is not that easy to find an expression that I liked and compose the frame so I didn't have to crop the picture. Used to taking pictures of animals that look into the camera, I realised only later that I had applied this rule of thumb too rigidly. I actually prefer photos where the animals concentrate on something else but the camera.

1
It was one of my challenges to get a decent picture of the wallabies hopping around. The animals were just grazing most of the time, so there was little opportunity.

2
3
4
It was a pleasure to witness this mother and joey. Here it had left the pouch and was suckling for quite some time. I assume it is not necessary to exit the pouch for that but here it did. I had never seen a pouch opening that big and open. Towards the end, the mother helped clean up the milk spill, the joey went back in and they hopped a bit further. With the size of this joey, and the mother happily jumping around with it, I am wondering how this is anatomically possible. How come the pouch does not stretch or tear? Why does the weight not off-balance the mother's jumping? Also, the joey's position looks so uncomfortable with the head, front and hind legs near the opening.

No comments:

Post a Comment